Help: General Protection Fault caused by Mathematica for Windows

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1111] Help: General Protection Fault caused by Mathematica for Windows
  • From: ddonne at expert.cc.purdue.edu (David Donne)
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 00:31:41 -0400

Expert Readers of This Group:

   Please help me with the following General Protection Fault problem.

   I always get General Protection Fault message when I run Mathematica
on my 486DX2/50 on some occasions. Specifically, I tried to expand
(1+x)^150 in Mathematica and I got the following message:

 First message:  Application Error: Math caused a general protection
                 fault in module 256_1024.drv at 0002:48FA. Close or
                 Ignore?

 When I tried to close, a second message came up:

 Second message: EMM386 has deteced error #6 in an application at
                 memory address 00B8:0BA0. ...EMM386 has haulted your
		 computer.

 Note: When I expanded (1+x)^140, there was no problem. My computer is
       a Packard Bell 486DX2/50 with 8MB of RAM. The Windows swapfile
       is 20MB (Windows recommends ~24MB). The video driver is Cirrus
       Logic GL5424 Version 1.43. Windows version is Windows for
       Workgroups v3.11. Math version if Math v2.2.1 for Windows.
       This is the only GPF I got for all the programs on my computer.
       At the time it happened, Mathematica reported there was ~6000K
       memory available.

       The relavent lines in CONFIG.SYS:
           DEVICE=C:\windows\himem.sys
           DEVICE=C:\windows\emm386.sys ram

 What could be the problem? How to fix it? Any info would be greatly
 appreciated.

David Donne
Purdue University
ddonne at expert.cc.purdue.edu