Re: BackGround Job

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1173] Re: BackGround Job
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 1995 04:03:29 -0400

In article <3pejir$8ku at news0.cybernetics.net>, Susan Rempe
<rempe at euclid.chem.washington.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>         Can someone tell me if it is
> possible to run mathematica as a back-
> ground job and direct output to a file.
>         I'm using an X-based workstation.
>
>         Thanks!

Yes, you can run the Unix versions of Mathematica in batch
mode. You can prepare a file with many lines of Mathematica
input and run it in Mathematica directing output to another
file. Here is an example shell command to run Mathematica in
batch mode:

    math -batchoutput infile outfile.

Note this invokes just the Mathematica kernel and not the X
Front End.

For further details see Chapter 8 of the "Mathematica User's
Guide For the Unix Shell" which came with your copy of
Mathematica.

If you need further help with this I would suggest that you
contact Wolfram Research Technical Support (support at wri.com)
directly.

I hope this helps.

--Ian