Re: Fastest Mathematica implementation?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1248] Re: Fastest Mathematica implementation?
  • From: rubin at msu.edu (Paul A. Rubin)
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 06:50:26 -0400

In article <3q14ro$725 at news0.cybernetics.net>,
   <bhunter at cat.bbsr.edu> (Bill Hunter) wrote:
->Benchmark results, anyone? What is the fastest back end processor for
->Mathematica?  I realize that the answer depends on what I want to do
->with Mathematica; at the moment, I'm most interested in small amounts
->of symbolic transformation tied to large amounts of numerical
->analysis.
->
->If this is in a FAQ somewhere, I haven't found it yet.

As I recall, WRI sells a version of Mathematica for Cray supercomputers.
(It was $250,000 not including the Cray the last time I looked, but that's
years ago.)  I would guess the Cray remains the fastest machine for running
the kernel.

Paul

* Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone: (517) 432-3509   *
* Department of Management                       Fax:   (517) 432-1111   *
* Eli Broad Graduate School of Management        Net:   RUBIN at MSU.EDU    *
* Michigan State University                                              *
* East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)                                    *
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE