Re: help functions

  • Subject: [mg2470] Re: [mg2435] help functions
  • From: hay at haystack.demon.co.uk (Allan Hayes)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 03:41:59 GMT
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: daemon at wri.com ( )

(I realized that you don't need to unprotect a function to change
its usage message: hence the following revision of my previous
message)

Jack Goldberg <jackgold at math.lsa.umich.edu>
>Subject: [mg2435] help functions
Writes

>I would like to have a "help" command which generates more
>information than ?.

Jack:
You can make you own additions as in the following example for Plot.
You might put the extensions in a package (MoreHelp` ?) and put
this into your init file for automatic loading at the start of each
session.

Make your additions (you don't need to unprotect Plot)

Plot::usage = StringJoin[Plot::usage;, "\nMy additions"];

Here they are

?Plot
Plot[f, {x, xmin, xmax}] generates a plot of f as a function of x
from xmin to xmax. Plot[{f1, f2, ...}, {x, xmin, xmax}] plots
several
functions fi.
My additions

Allan