Re: Taylor series expansion

  • Subject: [mg2575] Re: [mg2500] Taylor series expansion
  • From: moorep at MARSHALL.EDU (Phil Moore)
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 09:26:02 -0500
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup

On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Peter Joseph Onesti wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can expand in a Taylor series a function like
> Sin[constants+x^m] about x=0 for non-integer values of m?  Also, how does
> one specify m to be an integer only?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> P. J. Onesti

	I'm assuming that you are asking how to do it in Mathematica, not
the pencil and paper method.

	There is a function called Series.  I haven't looked into it very much,
but, from the examples in the book, it allows negative integer powers of x.

I wrote a function for Talyor polynomials:

taylor[func_,a_,n_] = Sum[ D[(func[x],{x,i}]/. x->a)/(i!)*(x-a)^i,{i,0,n}]

(* This is the standard formula found in books *)

This has some drawbacks.  First, x cannot be defined prior to calling
taylor.  Second, it does not tell you what the general term of the taylor
series is, though you can certainly call talyor[f,0,20] and try to see
the pattern.