Re: (fix) bizarre mathematica replacement rule error

  • Subject: [mg2539] Re: [mg2497] (fix) bizarre mathematica replacement rule error
  • From: kant at kathmandu.scicomp.com (Elaine Kant)
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 05:20:00 GMT
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: daemon at wri.com ( )

The sometimes-crashing-mathematica behavior I reported for the rule
     (x_==y_ && p_ == q_) :> 6
was due to a "rarely encountered bug in the pattern matcher" known to
Wolfram and already fixed for the next release of Mathematica.  The
workaround is to rewrite the pattern in a different way, and almost any
different way will work, which is why my solution of
   Literal[And][x_==y_, p_==q_] :> 6
and other proposals such as
   Op[x_==y_, p_==q_] :> 6 /; op===And
all work.

Thanks to everyone who suggested workarounds and made other helpful
proposals about solving the more general inequality simplification problem.

 - Elaine

Elaine Kant
SciComp Inc.
5806 Mesa Drive, Suite 250