Re: Please help newbie (please read)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3780] Re: Please help newbie (please read)
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 23:23:27 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4kvh3t$6s8 at ralph.vnet.net>, feuerbla at glo.be (Marc.) wrote:

> Hello,
> Please help me in my li'l problem.I am writing a program under windows
> (Delphi, but I could mix with other languages), that makes a lot of
> matrix operations.
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to make a link between my
> program and Mathematica, so that my program would send the data of the
> problem to mathematica, and mathemat. would perform the
> calculations...
> When mathem. would have done it, to get the results back in the
> 'calling program' so it can present the results to the user.
>
> Is it possible to do something like this with mathem ?
> If it is not possible to do that in mathemat., what about Matlab and
> Mathcad ?
>
> What are the basic differences between MATLAB and those other software
> , and which one is most user friendly in its use ?
> Thank's to help a beginner !!
>
> Marc.

Yes. You can use MathLink, Mathematica's inter-application
communication protocol, to call Mathematica from within
your own programs or to call external programs from within
Mathematica.

The Wolfram Research Web pages have more information about
Mathematica and MathLink, specifically:

    http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/info/mathlink.html

I would also suggest that you look at Todd Gayley's MathLink
Tutorial, available on MathSource, Wolfram Research's
electronic library of Mathematica materials:

0206-693: A MathLink Tutorial

Todd Gayley

This tutorial supplements the material in the MathLink
Reference Guide. It covers all aspects of MathLink
programming, especially topics that are treated very
briefly or not at all in the Reference Guide. Topics
include: passing lists and arrays, error handling,
using C++ and FORTRAN, graphics, packet types,
troubleshooting, etc. This tutorial supersedes any
other MathLink documentation by the author.

MathSource is accessible by email (mathsource at wolfram.com),
by anonymous ftp/gopher (mathsource.wolfram.com) and by
World Wide Web (http://www.wolfram.com/MathSource.html).

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier