Re: problem with mma and ppp on Mac

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3803] Re: problem with mma and ppp on Mac
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 00:54:47 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4l79cv$1ov at ralph.vnet.net>, HARRIET LORD
<hlord at clstac.is.csupomona.edu> wrote:

> I recently installed FreePPP (1.0.5) on my Centris 610, which uses System
> 7.1.
> Every time I launch Mma (2.2.1), it automatically launches the PPP.
>
> Is there some way to configure the Mma so that this doesn't happen?
>
> Harriet Lord
> hlord at csupomona.edu
>

> P.S.  This is also happening to a colleague of mine who is using the same
> versions of FreePPP and Mma on a Quadra 650 with System 7.5.1.

When Mathematica starts up, it checks across the network for another
copy of a running Mathematica. In Version 2.2.1 and earlier, the TCP
software for the network is loaded in a way that causes it to think
that it needs to initialize itself. This was a reasonable thing when
Version 2.2.1 was released, because network utilities like MacPPP
were relatively rare. This behaviour was changed in V2.2.2.
Mathematica now only checks across the network if your network
software is already running.

I would strongly recommend that you consider upgrading to the current
version of Mathematica for the Macintosh. This version includes
significant improvements over version 2.0 apart from improved
behaviour with PPP and Slip software.

Most implementations of SLIP and PPP (certainly InterSLIP and MacSLIP),
there is an option which will not dial the modem if TCP has been
initialized. Choosing this option should prevent Mathematica from
dialing your phone. If this doesn't work, the only thing I can
suggest for Version 2.0 is that you disable your PPP software when
you want to run Mathematica.

If you are interested in upgrading, contact info at wolfram.com.

I hope this helps.

--Ian