Re: Compiled functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4598] Re: Compiled functions
  • From: earhart at athena.mit.edu (Elizabeth J Earhart)
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 03:25:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4u9iob$moj at dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
Stefan Schulz  <sschulz at chemie.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>Dear Mathematica users,
>
>is it possible to compile a mathematica expression that uses
>vectors of real numbers as input? Since in my application I need
>to solve a symmetric tridiagonal linear system which is diagonally
>dominate quite often I am thinking about defining
>a compiled function that could look something like

Unfortunately, Compile[] does not handle vectors of arbitrary
length at all well.  If you need more speed, your best bet is
probably to write this in C and use MathLink to install it in
Mathematica.  This should be pretty easy for the function you're
contemplating.

-Elizabeth

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====