Re: Background jobs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4672] Re: [mg4623] Background jobs
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 03:55:23 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Dear All,
>
> I would like to start a Mathematica job as a background process.
> I assumed this would be easy, despite the fact that I couldn't find
> anything about this in the manual. However, the -run option doesn't seem
> to work. I'm using version 2.2.

> Loris
>
> --
> Loris Bennett				Tel.: (+49) 30 314 23762
> loris at ferro.physik.tu-berlin.de
> http://wwwitp.physik.TU-Berlin.DE:80/~loris/
> TU Berlin, PN7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, 10632 Berlin, FRG

There is nothing inherent to Mathematica to make it run as a background
process.  This is the operating system's job.  So, the question you need
to ask is, "how would I make *any* program run as a background process?".

The -run argument has nothing to do with the background process...it simply
instructs Mathematica what to do when it first starts up.  Thus, you could
pass it a command through -run which tells it to run a package.  If you
want Mathematica to quit gracefully at the end, then you'd put a Quit[]
command at the end of your package.

On a Unix-based system, you could run Mathematica in the background by
simply attaching an & after your command-line.  For example:

math < infile > outfile &

(note that in Unix, you can also use redirection as I did for input and output
files...I find that somewhat easier to remember than the -run argument).

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
Applications Group