fitting differential eq. to data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4664] fitting differential eq. to data
  • From: thamelry at vub.ac.be (Thomas Hamelryck)
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 03:55:16 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Mathematica experts,

We are struggling with the following problem :

we have a system of three linear differential equations in three variables
(x,y,z) with three unknown parameters (p,q,r) :

x'=-px+qy
y'=px-(q+r)y
z'=ry

We have a set of measurements (x,y,z,t). Now we want to optimize the
parameters p,q and r so that the solutions of the diff. equations
approximate the experimental data as close as possible.

Does anybody know if this can be done with Mathematica? Hints or suggestions
are very wellcome!
If there are other mathematical packets out there that are more suited for
solving the problem, please let us know.

Thank you in advance.

--
Thomas Hamelryck
Laboratorium voor Ultrastructuur