Mathematica Crashing - Floating Point problem?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4717] Mathematica Crashing - Floating Point problem?
  • From: Ralph.Martin at cs.cf.ac.uk (Ralph Martin)
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 03:57:36 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Recently, I have had a problem with Mathematica crashing
when I try to do some graphics, in cases where it worked OK
before.

System:
This is on a PowerPC Mac.

Actual Problem:
If I try to do any sort of ParametricPlot, Mathematica either
crashes, or draws nothing.

Further details:
In the case where nothing is drawn, if you view the graphics
cell as text, you can see that the numbers in the PostScript
are ridiculously large, like 4.32344e432546.

Surmise:
Some new System Software or extension I may have installed
relatively recently may somehow be messing up floating point
registers?

Has anyone come across anything like this before, and can you
suggest what might be causing it?

Thanks.

Ralph

--