Questions on the finer points.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4496] Questions on the finer points.
  • From: Hein Hundal <hundal at vicon.net>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 02:22:27 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

There are some things in Mathematica that seem to be the same, but I
suspect that they are some different.  Could someone enlighten me about
the difference between the following:

1)  What is the difference (if any) between f and g? Are there any
circumstances where f will work, but g won't.  Is g always faster than
f?  Does anyone prefer one definition to the other for another reason?

1a)

  f[x_] := x^2

1b)
  f[x_] := 1 /; x > 0