formatting in ver 3

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5432] formatting in ver 3
  • From: Jack Goldberg <jackgold at admin.lsa.umich.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:26:07 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Group;

I want to have an alternative format for the output (and input, if possible) of
the three built in functions Binomial, StirlingS1 and StirlingS2. The format is
2Dimensional and uses (), [], {} for theses functions, respectively.  The ()
notation is standard and is the TraditionalForm.  (To avoid any confusion, all
three functions are functions of two integers, the first is in the upper
position the second is in the lower position.) The latter two notations are due
to Knuth and are very convenient.

Part of the problem seems to be that [] and {} are symbols with built-in
meanings.  Part of the problem is that all three functions are built-in. And
the major problem is that I just can't figure out how to do it from reading The
Book?  Perhaps someone out there can guide me a bit or at least get me started.

Incidentally, it would be nice if I could design a Button so that I could input
these functions in the (),[],{} format.

Finally, it is really important that this issue be handled one way or another.
The work I do involves sums of products of Binomials, factorials, Pochhammer
symbols and the two types of Stirling numbers.  If the output is represented in
Standard Form, it is almost impossible to read, let alone simplify.

Help is needed, badly!  Thanks

Jack Goldberg