Re: Mathematica etc.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5472] Re: [mg5385] Mathematica etc.
  • From: Sherman Reed <Sherman.Reed at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 03:15:55 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 07:50 PM 12/5/96 +0000, you wrote:
>I would like to know more about Mathematica. Can it do signal processing
problems and control systems problems? Can it display
>Nyquist or Root Locus or Bode plots? Is it easy to use and fun?
>
>Also, there is a student version at the bookstore which is version
>2.0 with an option to upgrade to 3.0. Is the student version
>same as the full-blown version? What are the differences between the two if
there are any?

>TIA,
>
>Jason

Mark Evans has posted another reply to your message that is also correct.
This note just quantifies my earlier reply.  Mma is not a good production
language, by that I mean, if you are going to execute a lot of experiments,
then Mma, for the
most part is not appropriate.  Mma is excellent for prototyping any problem,
because the language of programming is the language of Mathematics, but
rarely is
as prototying language any good for production runs.  I can think of at
least five or six languages that are excellent for specific problems, none
of which is worth learning for exploration.

Sherman Reed