[Fwd: Re: mathematica for linux]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5618] [Fwd: Re: [mg5589] mathematica for linux]
  • From: "Parker E.C. Bradley" <PJDRINKA at concentric.net>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 23:43:45 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Wolfgang Hitzl wrote:

> Hy folks,
>
> I consider to use mathematica for linux on my PC. So can somebody share
> his/hers experience with mathematica for linux to me?
>
> 1) does the front end run under X-windows?
>
> 2) what advantages/disadvantages does mathematica for linux has?
>
> Your help would be very appreciated
>
> many wishes from Austria
>
> Wolfgang

	I've Been using version 2.2 for Linux for about 6 months and have not
had any real problems. Yes, there is an X-windows interface, and
performance has been better than version 2.2 under Windows 3.1 (of
course) Lateley I've installed Windows NT as well and the windows 3.1
version works like spit on a skittle under NT.

	The only disadvantage of the Linux version is that Wolfram has not
integrated sound abilities into this version (including version 3). This
may not be a consideration for you and Wolfram has told me that they are
considering adding it in the future -- whenever that may be.

	Another thing to keep in mind, if it is of importance to you, if you
are thinking of getting version 3 is that Wolfram has not yet put out
Mathlink for version 3, so if you need this you may want to wait a few
months.

	Best of luck.
--
Parker E.C. Bradley