Mathematica not native on Sun Solaris

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3157] Mathematica not native on Sun Solaris
  • From: stankerr at uiuc.edu (Stan Kerr)
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 03:01:24 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This is cross-posted to comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica and comp.sys.sun.apps.

One of our users who is running Solaris 2.5 on her SPARC is concerned that
the Solaris version of Mathematica requires the presence of a binary
compatibility library. Besides the issue of a compatibility library that
Sun might remove unexpectedly at some point, creating problems for code
that depends on it, she suspects the library might have a significant
effect on Mathematica's performance, versus what it could be in a Solaris
native version. Our contacts at Wolfram don't seem to think it's a great
concern and said they might run some comparative benchmarks for us; I'm no
judge since I don't use Suns.

Has anybody anything to offer? Is it a significant issue?

--
Stan Kerr, Computing & Communications Services Office/U of Illinois
stankerr at uiuc.edu

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====