Re: os/2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3176] Re: os/2
  • From: groskyd at gv.ssi1.com (David Rosky)
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 02:28:55 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In <4f4hqj$cpu at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, "David P. Manter" <dpm at kepler.unh.edu> writes:

>I am wondering if anyone out there has experience using the os/2 version?
>One of the reasons I purchased the windows student version was to upgrade to
>the os/2 version.

I have been using the OS/2 version (2.2.4) for several months and am generally
very happy with it.  The kernel is stable and very fast (generally faster than the
windows version on the same hardware).  The OS/2 native text-mode front end has some bugs
that cause it to crash under certain cercumstances (all of which are avoidable if
you're careful).  The windows front end, however, works flawlessly with the OS/2
kernel.  They communicate via a local TCP interface, though, which makes the
interaction between the kernel and front end a bit slow.  You will need
a TCP/IP stack for both OS/2 and the DOS VDM.  (these come with Warp, but
are an extra cost option with OS/2 2.1).  You will also need alot of
memory for it all to run efficiently, at least 16Mb from my experience, although
the manual says 8Mb -- don't believe it.

>BTW, I really like mathmatica but it is not very powerful for report writing.
>Is there any way to get "quality looking reports"  using the front
>end notebook.

Can't help much here; I don't normally have to make presentation quality
reports out of my Mathematica files.

Regards,
David Rosky

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====