Re: Readability suggestions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3010] Re: [mg2977] Readability suggestions
  • From: penny at edu-suu-scf.sc.suu.edu (Des Penny)
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 03:06:34 -0500

>   One question and one favor.  First the favor.  I haven't received any
>mail from the mailing list in weeks.  I've tried resubscribing with no
>luck.  If someone sees this could you drop me a note at Reece_d at elmg.com.
>
>   Now the question.  Does anyone have suggestion for making MMA notebooks
>readable to non MMA literate people.  I've tried using the various title
>and headings along with grouping of cells to make  it appear clear to me.
>I also space the function calls so as to highlight the primary function and
>arguments.  Still people declare the notebooks cryptic.  Anyone have other
>suggestions.
>
>   Thanks in advance,
>   Daryl

Hi Daryl:

I like to inclose the input cell in a box.  I also like to use a round
bullet for the text style.  Both of these allow the reader to clearly
distinguish between machine input and text written by the author.

Directions for Mac front end of Mma:
-----------------------------------
To accomplish the above you need to open up your "Normal" notebook inside
the "Defaults" folder.  With this notebook open go to Style/Edit Styles
(These are pull down menus).

Click on the Input style bracket.  Choose Style/Attributes/Box around Cell.

Click on Text Style bracket.  Choose Style/Attributes/Dingbats.  Click on
the round bullet, click ok.

Save your "Normal" notebook.  This will cause all new notebooks to adopt
the new style definitions that are set in "Normal".

There are lots of other things you can consider for improving clarity.  You
can choose different colors for the various styles, increase text size etc.
The cells to concentrate on are: Input style, Output style and Text style.

I also like to have square bullets for the Section and subsection styles.

Hope this helps,

Des Penny

==========================
Des Penny