problem devolping a formula

  • Subject: [mg2954] problem devolping a formula
  • From: ryangall at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Bobby Sixkiller)
  • Date: 15 Jan 1996 06:13:30 -0600
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: mj at wri.com

 I am wondering if there is any way I can find a formula that will solve
the following condidion

CONSTANTS: MAX=1000
	   MIN=0

PRECONDITIONS

           Z=SOME NUMBER (arbitrary)
           N=0;
           IF N=0 THEN maxx=MAX;
                       maxy=MAX;
                       minx=MIN;
                       miny=MIN;

POST CONDITION: SPACE is returned as the answer

FORMULA:

  FOR N=0 TO N=Z DO N+1   /* RUN THE LOOP Z TIMES */
  {
   SPACE=(maxx-minx)/(2*MAXAXIS);
   maxy=maxx-1;
   maxy=maxy-1;
   minx=minx+1;
   miny=miny+1;
  }

--------------------------

I hope you understand what I want, I originally wrote this in C, but tried
to write it more universally for this post.

what I want (if possible) is some formula that wont have to go through
this for loop/series sum ,to get the desired number.Since the Z value can
easily be over 10000 the time it take is unacceptable (Im using it for
graphics).

I need some function that takes in a z value, and pops out SPACE as the
answer, If any of you know how to do this, or perhaps doing it some other
way, please e-mail me asap....one more thing, can you explain how you got
the answer, I deal with these sorts of problems all the time, but have no
mathematical insight to them.....If you don have time to explain it, could
you tell me what I can study to learn about it. THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP!