Calculating with value instead of symbol

  • Subject: [mg2878] Calculating with value instead of symbol
  • From: agroehn at email.uni-kiel.de (Andreas Groehn)
  • Date: 4 Jan 1996 03:51:19 -0600
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: mj at wri.com

I need to calculate the following sequence:

W=x^2
Y[x_]:=x W

If I differentiate Y[x] in respect to x,
I get different solutions, depending on the employed function,

Y'[x]   or   D[Y[x], x],

because Y is defined as Y[x]=x W and not as Y[x]= x^3.
How can I get Mathematica to work with the value of W to receive the
Y[x]= x^3?

Thank you very much for your help,

Andreas Groehn