Compression Algorithm wanted

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4430] Compression Algorithm wanted
  • From: bobjon at gatewest.net
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 01:29:42 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have the following problem:

A compiled function of mine does frequent writes to a list, constantly churning
out new integers within a certain range. Unfortunately, writing to lists from
inside a compiled function is very slow, so, naturally, I want to reduce the
number of writes. Currently, I am using a method to reduce writes by
expressing consecutive numbers as the digits of an integer (eg. {1,2,3} becomes
123).

Does anyone have a method to "compress" the list of integers, or reduce the
number of writes in any way?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--Jonathan Lee

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====