Help! Unwanted cropping

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4325] Help! Unwanted cropping
  • From: Zorro <berriz at husc.harvard.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 00:51:14 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Why is it that, with Mathematica, it takes SO LONG to do the simplest
things??

After hours of sweat I finally managed to get (via FullGraphics) a
plot whose top and bottom horizontal axes showed different scales.
Great, >>>> EXCEPT <<<< Mathematica has decided, (INEXPLICABLY!), to
CROP out half the tick-numbers on the bottom and left axes.  Only tiny
fragments of the digits can be seen; the graph is obviously
unreadable.

I have *pored* for 2-3 hours over Wolfram's (remarkably unhelpful)
Mathematica tome, the front end's user manual, and the InputForm of
the plot in question.  I have not been able to find out why on EARTH
Mathematica, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to overcrop my plot.

The PlotRegion option appears to be perfectly useless: it produces
ample margins around an *already overcropped* figure.

[For what it's worth, I'm doing all this on a NeXT.  Upon clicking any
graphic, a surrounding box with little "handles" appears.  If one
pulls on any of these handles while holding down the "Command" key,
one can make the cropping *tighter*, but *not* looser.  (I.e. this
approach is useless in exactly the same way the PlotRegion option
is.)]

If anyone knows what the deal is, I'd be most grateful for advice on
how to get this plot to go.

Many thanks in advance,

Gabriel

HONK IF YOU HATE MATHEMATICA.