signal detection theory and MMA

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4399] signal detection theory and MMA
  • From: George Melikian <melikian at ups.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:23:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,
Does anyone know of any sources for mathematica notebooks that deal with
implementing signal detection theory. If you are no familiar with SDT, it is
essentially the use of Bayesian reasoning to set a threshold to classify
(distinghuish) 2 (or more) PDF's. Additionally, costs for false alarms and
benefits for correct hits (along with their relative probabilities) are
considered in the optimal threshold setting. I am curious becasue I am
trying to  model the trajectory of the optimal threshold in the context of
changing variables (i.e. costs, benefits, etc.). Such a function is
essentially transcendental and runs into problems with Mathematica. Any help
would be very much appreciated.
 Thanks in advance,

George Melikian

--