Re: Help: Column/Row Vector

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4295] Re: Help: Column/Row Vector
  • From: rubin at msu.edu (Paul A. Rubin)
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 03:56:15 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4q5k2d$bsb at dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
   khinast at nld.chee.uh.edu wrote:
->Hi,
->
->I have two vectors x=(x1,x2) and y = (y1,y1). How can I persuade
Mathematica
->that e.g. x is a column vector and y is a row vector, which is kind of
->important for their multiplication .
->I've studied the help page for hours, with no result. So could
->someone please help me. My email address is:

I'm not sure just how you're planning to multiply x and y; the inner
product (Inner[], Dot[]) and outer product (Outer[]) operations work quite
well with two column vectors.  In any event, if you need to distinguish the
two, try this:

In[]:=  x := {x1, x2};
	y := {{y1}, {y2}};

In[]:=  Dimensions[ x ]
Out[]=  {2}

In[]:=  Dimensions[ y ]
Out[]=  {2, 1}

Or maybe you want

In[]:=	x := {{x1, x2}};
	Dimensions[ x ]
Out[]=	{1, 2}

Paul

* Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone: (517) 432-3509   *
* Department of Management                       Fax:   (517) 432-1111   *
* Eli Broad Graduate School of Management        Net:   RUBIN at MSU.EDU    *
* Michigan State University                                              *
* East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)                                    *
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====