Re: Dirac Delta Function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4110] Re: Dirac Delta Function
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 01:36:56 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4ojdr2$5i8 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
jslater at valhalla.cs.wright.edu (Joseph C. Slater) wrote:

> Is there a way to incorporate the Dirca Delta function into Mathematica?
> I'd like to have a function like f=Dirac[t]+Dirac[t-1]
>
> such that
> Integrate[t f,{t,-1,2}]
> Yields 1.
>
> JS
>
> --

DiracDelta, which is defined in Calculus`DiracDelta` one of
the standard packages distributed with every copy of Mathematica,
does exactly what you want. Here is an example:

In[3]:=
    Needs[ "Calculus`DiracDelta`" ]

In[4]:=
    f=DiracDelta[t]+DiracDelta[t-1]
Out[4]=
    DiracDelta[-1 + t] + DiracDelta[t]

In[5]:=
    Integrate[t f,{t,-1,2}]
Out[5]=
    1

Calculus`DiracDelta` is documented on pages 18-21 of "The Guide to
Standard Mathematica Packages" Technical Report.

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier
Wolfram Research, Inc.