Re: ArcTan[x,y]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3361] Re: ArcTan[x,y]
  • From: fateman at peoplesparc.cs.berkeley.edu (Richard J. Fateman)
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 04:12:13 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4h13nr$rr4 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
Bill Freed  <billf at math.concordia.edmonton.ab.ca> wrote:
>I am writing an article for a math education journal about the
>conversion to and from polar coordinates. It would be useful to know
>how the function ArcTan[x,y] is defined in Mathematica- by a single
>formula, a Which statement or whatever? A rough description or the
>Mathematica code would do.

Note that mathematica's ArcTan  REVERSES THE ARGUMENTS.

atan2(y,x)  is the tradition, e.g. for the last 40 years of Fortran, etc.

ArcTan[x,y] is uniquely in Mathematica.

I should hope that you have access to the definition without
reference to Mathematica.

--
Richard J. Fateman
fateman at cs.berkeley.edu   http://http.cs.berkeley.edu/~fateman/