Re: substitution of functions in derivatives

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3418] Re: [mg3384] substitution of functions in derivatives
  • From: jpk at apex.mpe.FTA-Berlin.de (Jens-Peer Kuska)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 01:45:59 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> I have a problem with mathematica and the rules:
> suppose that I use a function in an expression like:
>
> f=a u[x,y]
>
> next I derivate it:
>
> df=D[f,x]
> now, I'd like to substitute u[x,y] and to give it the good value say Cos[x,y]:
>
> df/.u[x_,y_]->Cos[x y]

Hi,

You need a function like

MakeDerivativeRules[fncrule_Rule,x_,y_]:=
  Thread[{#,D[#,x],D[#,y],D[#,{x,2}],D[#,{y,2}]} & /@ fncrule]

if You have a differential eqn than Your MakeDerivativeRules may
collect all derivatives that may occour, including cross derivatives.

The rest is easy

df /. MakeDerivativeRules[u[x,y]->Cos[x*y],x,y]

will work.

Hope that helps
Jens

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====