Re: Greek symbols in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3444] Re: [mg3439] Greek symbols in Mathematica
  • From: Richard Mercer <richard at seuss.math.wright.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 01:29:46 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>  When working with Mathematica Notebook front end, is it
>  possible to type Greek characters in an input expression
>  and obtain a correct  output expression?
>

>  By choosing in the STYLE menu the font SYMBOL I can
>  prepare an input expression containing  Latin and Greek
>  characters, but in the output expression all characters
>  are Latin.
>

>  If somebody knows the answer I would be grateful to
>  receive it.
>

>  Matej Pavsic

Certainly in general this does not work, and even if you could get it
to work in some cases, you'd be borrowing trouble. Input cells do not
respond to font selection.
If you must use Greek letters, the best solution is to spell out the
names, i.e.
f[alpha_]:= beta*Exp[-kappa alpha]

Richard Mercer

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====