Re: {mg3340] quartile

  • Subject: [mg3373] Re: {mg3340] quartile
  • From: me at talmanl.mscd.edu (Lou Talman)
  • Date: 2 Mar 1996 09:38:21 -0600
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: daemon at wri.com

Bryce Kelly wrote:

> On Mathematica's definition of a quartile.
>

> Hello All,
>
> I need some help on the definition of a quartile. I have run into the
> following problem on different definitions for quartiles between Maple
> and Mathematica .
>
> Using Mathematica 2.2.1
> In[] := <<Statistic`DescriptiveStatistics`
> In[] := data = {10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80}
> In[] := Median[data]
> Out[] = 45
> In[] := Quartiles[data]
> Out[] = {25,45,65}
>

> Using Maple V release 4
> > data := [10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80]:
> > with(stats):
> > with(describe):
> > median(data);
> 		45
> > quartiles := [seq(describe[quartile[i]],i=1..3)]:
> > quartiles(data);
> 		[20,40,60]
>

> What is Mathematica source for the definition of a quartile ?

One might better ask for the source of Maple's definition of "quartile".  I've
never seen a definition of "quartile" that made the second quartile different
from the median.  And most folks I know would agree that the first and third
quartiles should be the medians of the lower and upper halves of the data--as
Mathematica appears to think.

--Lou Talman