Re: MathLink

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3992] Re: MathLink
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 02:13:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4ms3m4$3bf at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, phrje at csv.warwick.ac.uk
(Don McKenzie Paul) wrote:

> We are trying to use Mathematica on our local Unix box whille running the
> front end on a Mac. We have little to no documentation for this. The
> connection seems to be fine and we can run notebooks based on the Mac on
> the Unix box. But...how do we set the directory path so we input data from
> files based on the Mac. I'm sure this is a silly question but any help
> would be appreciated.
>
> Don

The Mathematica kernel can only access files in directories that are
mounted as part of the Unix filesyatem. So unless you are running
software that allows you to mount your Macintosh hard disk in your Unix
filesystem this will not be possible.

What you could do is either run a kernel on the Mac and link that to
the Unix kernel via MathLink and have the Mac kernel access those
files for you or write your own MathLink program to access the files
on the Mac.

Another possibility would be to simply use ftp to trabsfer data files
to the Unix filesystem and access them directly from your Unix kernel.

If you need further help with this I would suggest that you contact
Wolfram Research Technical Support (support at wolfram.co.uk) directly.

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier