Re: ReadList problems in NEXTStep, version 2.2 for NEXT

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5275] Re: [mg5195] ReadList problems in NEXTStep, version 2.2 for NEXT
  • From: "Rui J. S. Batista" <rbatista at cyberstore.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 02:30:20 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You wrote:
> Hi Mathgroup
>
> I came across a strange problem regarding ReadList[]. I used it
> extensively to import data files consisting of three columns of
> numbers sepearated by a couple of spaces and after the third column
> another couple of spaces appear before the end of line marker. I
> used those to import data in a Solaris version of Mathematica (2.2)
> and Windows 3.1 (2.2.4) and everything worked fine. I actually used
> "ReadList["filename", Numbers, RecordLists -> True]" to get a
> nested list.
>
> When I now do the SAME using a NEXT CUBE (version 2.2 as well) I
> get an error message stating something like. ....syntax error
> reading in a real number....
>
> If I remove the trailing spaces between the third column and the
> end of line marker everything is read in fine. But that is really
> cumbersome to remove the trailing spaces only for that purpose.
>
> Is there something different in the NEXT version of Mathematica
> which can cause that problem in comparison to the Solaris and
> Windows 3.1 version
>
> I made sure that the files were copied from the diskette which is
> DOS to the CUBE using "cp" to convert the differnet end of line
> markers in those two OS's. The data originally were created on an
> VMS system then copied to the Solaris system and used there. From
> there I copied the data on a DOS system and used them in Windows
> 3.1, and those DOS diskettes were used to copy the data to the
> CUBE.
>

> Can you help me with that?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Oliver Schurr Department of Chemistry Georgetown University
> Washington, DC 20057

I don't know about the dos/windows data formats, We use Mathematica
with NeXTSTEP on NeXT hardware and NeXTSTEP on Sun hardware, as
well as Mathematica on Solaris. We have no problem sharing data
among the different platforms and OS'. The data sits on a shared
file server.
---

Rui J. Batista
Ferreira Belo Santos Econometrica