Re: Arnold's Cat Map

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5286] Re: [mg5282] Arnold's Cat Map
  • From: Mark Evans <evans at gte.net>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 01:44:31 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Wilson,

I tried responding to your e-mail address "wfigueroa at mosquito.com" but got the
message shot back at me as undeliverable.  What is your actual e-mail address?

The only thing I can say offhand is that projective geometry on the plane
can handle shear.  What you do is use projective coordinates (x,y,w) and
3 x 3 matrices to move the pixels around.  Projective geometry is nice
because you can compound transformations by multiplying matrices, just like
linear algebra.  So in principle (if your problem can be set in terms of
P.G.) after you had compounded the transformation a certain number of times,
the resultant would be the identity matrix.

Please send details, I am interested.

Mark Evans
evans at gte.net