Mathematica3.0 question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5192] Mathematica3.0 question
  • From: biellak at joermungand.Stanford.EDU (Steve Biellak)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 02:02:02 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi.  I am evaluating the trial edition of Mathematica 3.0.  I had
 a question which is probably obvious but since I only have the online
 help manuals I am having problems.

If I take the expression
  InverseFourierTransform[Exp[-I d fx^2 Pi/(2 lambda)],fx,x]

Mathematica gives me a nice answer.  However, it won't give me
 an answer to
  InverseFourierTransform[Exp[-I d Pi/lambda (1-fx^2/2)],fx,x]

 no matter how I break up the exponent, into the constant term
 and the variable term.

Sure, since one term is constant, I can omit it a priori, but there
 must be a way for Mathematica to handle this properly?

btw, I'm trying to decide whether my company should buy MM 3.0, or
 some other system (when it becomes available).  if anyone has any speed
 comparisons for numerical manipulations or plotting between MM 3.0
 and other systems for Windows or WinNT i'd be interested in seeing them.
 (i know, that different programs aren't designed for the same purposes.
  but as long as the numeric computation speed hit isn't too great we'd
  prefer the symbolic stuff of Mathematica. )

thanks
Steve Biellak
biellak at joey.stanford.edu