error message

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5057] error message
  • From: gt1824a at prism.gatech.edu (Heather Mary Hauser)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 01:38:16 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In using FindRoot to find the zeros of a function which I have defined by a
procedure (too long to list here), I keep getting the error message
"FindRoot::frnum:Function{{-0.00004794 - 0.000020387I}} is not a length 1
list of numbers at {r} = {0.15I}" . r = 0.15I is the first of two values I
give to start the search, because I know that there is not a symbolic
derivative to be found. I also know that this value is near a possible zero
because it is midway through an interval where the function changes sign.
(both real and imaginary parts). Can anybody tell me what this error message
means ?

Heather Hauser
heather at eas.gatech.edu