[Q] FindRoot & large system of eqns

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5070] [Q] FindRoot & large system of eqns
  • From: afe8607 at silver.sdsmt.edu
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 22:48:14 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am a new user of the student edition of mathematica. I am trying to use
it to solve a large system of non-linear equations using FindRoot in the
form of:

FindRoot[{eqn1==something,eqn2==somethingelse,...},{x1,0},{x2,0}]

I have 16 equations and 16 unknowns, as is required, but it seems no matter
how many of the system variables that I provide initial guesses for,
mathematica always seems to state that my system is somehow not properly
defined, guessed for...etc.

Does someone have a good, straight-forward example for FindRoot applied to
a large non-linear system? If so, please e-mail it to me at

egan at aspen.che.sdsmt.edu

Thanks in advance
Anthony Egan
Masters Student of Chemical Engineering
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology