Re: Most recent version of mode for interacting with Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4887] Re: Most recent version of mode for interacting with Mathematica?
  • From: "Brian J. Albright" <albright at physics.ucla.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 00:17:29 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Michael Hucka wrote:

> There is a math.el available from Wolfram's FTP site.  My question is:
> is this the latest and best mathematica mode, or is there a more
> recent version?  The math.el from ftp.wolfram.com is the following:
>
>     ;; LCD Archive Entry:
>     ;; math.el|David Jacobson|jacobson at hpl.hp.com
>     ;; Mode package for running Mathematica
>     ;; $Date: 2019/07/12 14:45:58 $|$Revision: 1.1 $|
>
> --
>                                                                        __  __
> Mike Hucka   hucka at umich.edu   http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/hucka  [  \/  ]
>   Ph.D. candidate, computational models of human visual processing     ][\/][
>     Programmer analyst & news admin at U. Michigan Dept. of EECS      [__][__]

Hi Michael.

The version you mention is the most recent I've found.  I use it
exclusively for MMa on the Sun Solaris Workstations here at work, since
the X front end seems to have a penchant for random core dumping.  I did
a bit of hacking to extend font-lock to functions, keywords, and other
syntax.  Also the In[_]:=/Out[_]= fields. I consider myself an emacs
tyro, so it's still somewhat crude and incomplete.  (E.g., I haven't
been able to make efficient regexps smart enough to properly colorize a
"]]" that indicates the end of an array index, and the "]]" that comes
from nested functions like "Sin[Cos[t]]".  You need efficient regexps if
you have font-lock on and you accidentally print a 100000-element vector
to the screen!)  Email me if you want a copy.

If you come across a "colorful" math.el, please let me know.  My version
is still too ugly to be anything but embarrassing.

-Brian

Brian J. Albright                          |
Department of Physics and Astronomy, UCLA  |  Um, yeah.  Uh....  Oh gee.
albright at physics.ucla.edu                  |
http://bohm.physics.ucla.edu/~albright     |  [.signature stage fright]

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====