Re: isocontours on sphere

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6745] Re: isocontours on sphere
  • From: David S Tuch <dtuch at mit.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 02:52:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

David S Tuch wrote:

> Any suggestions on how to plot isocontours of a function f(theta,phi) on a sphere?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Dave Tuch
> dtuch at mit.edu

A number of people wrote to me expressing an interest in this problem.
The solution I came up with is as follows.

plot1=ContourPlot[fun[theta,phi],{theta,0,Pi},{phi,0,2Pi},ContourShading->False]
plot1=First[Graphics[plot1]];
plot2=#/.Line[pts_]:>Line[(
{Sin[#[[1]]]Cos[#[[2]]],Sin[#[[1]]]Sin[#[[2]]],Cos[#[[1]]]}&/@pts
)]&/@plot1;
plot2=Graphics3D[plot2];
Show[plot2]

There might be another way to do it with something like ImplicitPlot3D.
I would be interested in hearing how other people tackle this problem.
Thanks.

Dave Tuch
dtuch at mit.eu