Re: Bug: V.3 for PowerMac

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6545] Re: [mg6513] Bug: V.3 for PowerMac
  • From: David Withoff <withoff>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:01:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Hi group;
>
> I reported this bug to Wolfram and it was acknowledged. But, as far as I
> know, they do not post these things, so I pass this on to those
> interested.
>
> I run V. 3 on a 7200 PowerMac with RamDoubler installed. My system hard
> crashes often.  Most of the time I have not been able to pinpoint the
> particular command that does it (except the item below).  The usual sign
> of the hard crash is Error 10 or Error 11.  They "appear" to result from
> my typos that result in exceeding the recursion limits.
>
> This line will do it to your PowerMac, at least the PowerMac 7200.
>         x = {{x[t]},{y[t]}}
>
> Since the hard crash is extremely annoying to me, I have not
> experimented with making the trouble line simpler, but I guess I could
> leave out a number of the {{}} and probably the y[t] and still crash.

Are you sure that this is a bug, or if it is, that it is a bug in
Mathematica?  When an application crashes because it exhausts the
stack space or the memory that has been allocated to it, the normal
behavior in many situations is to crash.  Although it is theoretically
possible for the application to catch this, and to abandon the
calculation before the crash, it is difficult to do so in general.

On the other hand, if you have examples where you get a crash and that
do not involve running out of stack space, we would very much like to
hear about them.

Regarding posting of bugs, as soon as we have anything useful to say
about a bug, that information is posted in the Wolfram Research web site.

Dave Withoff
Wolfram Research