Re: Including Functions and Variables from another Notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6806] Re: [mg6786] Including Functions and Variables from another Notebook
  • From: Allan Hayes <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 01:59:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>From: "Rick A. Sprague" <sprague at egr.msu.edu>
>[mg6786] Including Functions and Variables from another Notebook

> Can someone tell me how to include functions and variables from
> another notebook?  I have written a notebook that contains
> functions that detemine pure component thermodynamic properties
> given certain parameters, ie: heat capacity, vapor pressure, etc.
> Now I want to use those functions and apply them to a new notebook
> that models vapor liquid equilibrium.  I want to use these
> functions with out cutting and pasting cells into my new notebook.

Rick:
In Mma 3.0 we can do the following sort of thing

(1) Automatically save you definitions in a package:

Make a definition (you need not evaluate it)

double[x_]:= {x,x}

Select this cell; make it an initialization cell (use Cell/Cell
Properties/ Initialization Cell)

Save notebook, including the following steps in the procedure:
	name it MGExample,
	click to save (you will get a panel asking if you wish to
	make a package containing all the initialization cells);
	click Create.

(2) Test that this works

Open a new notebook

Clear[double] (*to ensure that double is not defined*)

<<MGExample`

double[5]

	{5,5}

Allan Hayes