Re: Q. How to work with derivative?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6674] Re: [mg6615] Q. How to work with derivative?
  • From: jpk at max.mpae.gwdg.de
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:15:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

--- schnip snapp schnip snap ----
> and get the result, but I need a _function_ (which I can later
> plot for instanse). What is the possible way to do it along the lines
> of my first approach?
>
> Thank you for all suggestions,
> Yaroslaw.

Hi Yaroslaw,

here is what You want:

f[x_]:=x^3
s[x_]:=Module[{xx},
         D[f[xx],xx] /. xx->x
        ]

This reflects the usual mathematical notation

d f     |
--- (x) |
d x     | x=3

because when You build the derivative the variable x is not assigned
to a value. As a pure function the

fun=Block[{x},Evaluate[D[f[x],x]] /. x->#] &

version works.

In general it is more serious to pass f[x] as a parameter instead of
use a global variable.

Hope that helps
Jens