Re: Rendering image to array

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8208] Re: [mg8098] Rendering image to array
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:24:57 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dave Rosky/SSI1 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the tip. ...
> Personally, I think the lack of a good set of built-in functions to read
> and write image files is a big oversight.  It makes it difficult to use
> Mathematica for image processing.
>
> --Dave
> dave.rosky at badc.ssi1.com

Amen!  Anyone at Wolfram listening-a major drawback to Mma is its
inability to read bitmap-type files directly into arrays of numbers.  It
was also very disappointing since the cat picture on page 9 of the "A
Tour of Mathematica" claims that this functionality is built-in to Mma
3.0.  "Mathematica lets you import data in any format, then manipulate
it using powerful and flexible functions".  Grossly misleading or false
advertising.  Either way, it is past time for Mma to be able to read
bitmaps.