Re: Re: floor problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8247] Re: [mg8140] Re: [mg8113] floor problems
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 21:17:04 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Will Self wrote:

> Hi Sean, I just resubscribed.  I think that any reasonable human being
> should reasonably expect that Mathematica should give the correct
> answers for *both* of those Floor expressions, as indeed my old
> version 2.0 does.  It is all very well to exhort people to be careful
> and be extra-aware, but if one has to go around walking on eggs, then
> what becomes of the usefulness of Mathematica?  I say, let the blame
> rest where it should, on WRI.
>
> Will

I always "walk on eggshells" and never trust a numerical coprocessor or
a compiler further than I can spit.  We just had a post where someone
with a Unix based system does not have the error that your powerPC chip
and my Pentium chip do.  I don't think this kind of error has anything
to do with mathematica, but with the way the numeric coproccessor
handles floating point and integer conversions.  I think the wolfram
people were just talented in exposing the error in the numeric
coprocessor.