Re: Extracting the domain of a function, dynamic programming

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8333] Re: [mg8225] Extracting the domain of a function, dynamic programming
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 13:24:49 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

John JOWETT wrote:

> --------------DA785FE9E40FF72720FAFD8D
>
> Hello, I would like to extract the set of values on which a function is
> defined.   Consider the following toy example (to illustrate a
> situation I have while using dynamic programming):
>
> In[182]:=
> Clear[f]
> In[185]:=
> f[1]:=f1;
> f[2]:=f2;
>

> I am sure that someone who really understands held expressions
> can help me .....
>
> (I realise that I could simply accumulate an auxiliary list at
> each point where a new value is defined for f but that's not really
> satisfactory.)
>
> Thanks for any efforts,
> John Jowett
>
> --

Try looking at the various elements in your function.  Every object in
mathematica is a List of some sort.  the Zeroeth element is the Head,
but depending on how your function is defined, you may find the
information in a subsequent element.  This is especially true if your
function is an interpolation function object or a splined object.