Re: NDSolve: X D[f[X,Z],X] - D[f[X,Z],Z,Z] == 0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8331] Re: [mg8196] NDSolve: X D[f[X,Z],X] - D[f[X,Z],Z,Z] == 0
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 13:24:47 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Michael Bunk wrote:
> The same equation with Z instead of X in the first term :
>
>         Z D[f[X,Z],X] - ....
>
> works very well. I think it's a problem of this X but i try....
>
> To deal with the zero on the right-hand-side is impossilbe, because it's
> the physics of my problem.

sean ross wrote:

What I meant was, write

X D[f[X,Z],X] - D[f[X,Z],Z,Z] == 0

as

X D[f[X,Z],X] == D[f[X,Z],Z,Z]

and see what happens.  This doesn't change the physics of the
problem,but may give you a better idea about what mathematicas problem
is.  Intrinsic to many numerical methods is that the way you write the
equation determines the outcome.  For example, if I want to solve the
equation x^2 = Exp[x] and want to use fixed point iteration to do so,
writing

x[[n+1]]=Sqrt[Exp[x[[n]]]] may yield a different root than if I write

x[[n+1]]=2 Log[x[[n]]], though both are algebraically equivalent.