Re: Putting argument for function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8077] Re: [mg8049] Putting argument for function
  • From: Wouter Meeussen <wm.vdmcc at vandemoortele.be>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 03:22:42 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hi,

why not make a little rule, a rulette say (;-)#

rulette=var:x|y|z->var[t]
and write
it=(z^2==a x^2 +b y^2)
as
it/.rulette

Out[23]=
    2          2         2
z[t]  == a x[t]  + b y[t]

like it?
PS.
watch out for that direct assignment z = etcetera
                                       ^
if you use that, then you will never see "z" anymore, so use "==" instead.
Or use {z,a x + b y}.

wouter.

At 01:47  04.08.97 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a function, eg.,
>
>(1)  z=a*x+b*y
>
>a, b are constants.
>x, y and z are variables.
>
>I then want to define all the variables as functions of time.
>
>(2) z[t]=a*x[t]+b*y[t]
>
>Can I do this without rewritting the entire equation?
>

>Noriaki Kinoshita
>University of Cambridge
>Email:nk204 at cam.ac.uk

NV Vandemoortele Coordination Center