reading in matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5853] reading in matrices
  • From: Dag Spicer <spicer at leland.stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 01:30:19 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

TWO OBSCURE ??

First,
I have a rather large matrix (type real*8) stored on disk, which I would
like to read into memory in a reasonable amount of time << 2 hrs.

Preferably in under a minute or so.  ReadList doesn't cut it.
I was thinking of writing a Mathlink program to pass in the matrix,
although I don't know that this would be any faster than ReadList.  I
know Fortran (90), but Mathlink requires C.

The matrix size is about 300 by 200.

Secondly, I'm running Windows NT, and I cannot get Todd Gayley's
FastBinaryFiles to load.  I've checked $Paths to make sure it can find
his Binary.exe file.  In mathematica I type Install["Binary.exe"]
and the kernel just hangs up.

Dag Spicer
Stanford
spicer at leland.stanford.edu