Re: Solving non-linear equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6164] Re: [mg6154] Solving non-linear equations
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 02:52:04 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Konopnicki David wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to mathematica. I want to find some numeric solutions to a system
> of non-linear equations. I tried to do it with NSolve but I was not able
> to get a solution even with simple systems like:
> x1==10
> x2== 10*2^x1
> I'd like to solve systems like this one:
> x1==10
> x2==2^x1
> x1=f[x2]
> is it possible to do this in mathematica?
> Thanks
> -David

> David Konopnicki - konop at cs.technion.ac.il

Mathematica is a complete programming language, not just a collection of
 functions.  There may be no built in function that does what you want,
but solving this sort of problem is simple if you have any experience
with numerical methods in general.  I would try fixed point iteration on
the set of equations written in vector form.  Mathematica is a
convenient platform to set that up and even has recursion and fixed
point iteration type commands built in.