Re: Changing Plot3D to polygons?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5925] Re: [mg5850] Changing Plot3D to polygons?
  • From: Lars Hohmuth <larsh>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 00:03:57 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Robert Shanks wrote:

> I'm looking for a Mathematica comand or code to convert Plot3D or
> ParametricPlot3D to polygons so I can save the form out as DXF.  I can
> save polygons to DXF fine, but just need a way to convert these other
> formats.
>
> Thanks - Robert Shanks / Synthlab
Did you look at the standard package Utilities`DXF`?

This package was specifically written to allow the export of Mathematica
Graphics as DXF files.

The systax is WriteDXF["filname.dxf", graphic]

If you wish to output polygons only, chose the PolygonsOnly option.

Note: The package currently writes out only certain graphics primitives
(Line, Point, Polygon, and Cuboid). Any style information is lost, as
are axes, boxes, etc. This results in a DXF file equivalent to one
created by the "entities only" option from AutoCAD. Cuboids and polygons
with more than four sides are subdivided into triangular polygons. (This
process creates a
temporary file; be sure you have enough disk space to accommodate it.
This will consume as much disk space as a Mathematica PostScript file
for the same objects.)

Even if this package doesn't do exactly what you want, it should be
pretty easy to modify.

Lars Hohmuth
Wolfram Research