Area optimization

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5743] Area optimization
  • From: jquim at individual.EUNet.pt (Joaquim Silva)
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 14:29:26 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

[post Mathematica related solutions only, others to the poster. -moderator]

	I have the following problem, that I assume, for the type of persons I see here, is a
piece of cake :

	I have a given rectangle.
	Now, I would like to put inside this rectangle, a given number N of smaller and
different rectangles, in such a way to have the least amount of free space (
classic :) ). Cutting small carpets from a big one.
	If you know were to find or a book that deals this kind of problems, ( simillar to a
puzzle ), or if you have a tip I will be very greatfull.
	Thanks in advance for any tip.

Joaquim J. Dias da Silva          jquim at individual.EUnet.pt
CT4QW                         Porto                  PORTUGAL